Svukuriset is a popular starting point for many people visiting Femundsmarka. It comprises two farms, and the northern of the two is still a working farm. The southern farm was bought by the Norwegian Trekking Association (DNT) as early as 1926, long before the association started marking out trails in the area. Today, there are trails in all directions, for example up to the top of Mount Stor-Svuku and to the fine fishing waters in Lake Revlingsjøane.
Svukuriset was originally a summer pasture under the Ryen farm at Femundshytten. When the smelting plant closed down, the people at Ryen moved to Svukuriset. The name is derived from the dense, scrubby forest growing south of Stor-Svuku.